What insurance do I need to be a mechanic?

Who Needs Mechanic Insurance?

If you are a Mechanic that deals with the handling, driving and repair of other people’s vehicles, and any company vehicle, then it could be vital to have insurance cover that will provide protection for any accidents and also cover your assets. Regardless of whether you work part-time or full time, work at home or in a garage premises, it is necessary to be covered to protect your business.

While Motor Trade policies can often seem complex and difficult to navigate, it doesn’t have to be hard to figure out what you would like cover for, and what is necessary. Your first step could be to note down what could potentially be compromised within your business. As a mechanic you could be liable for a client’s car – for repairing errors or any damages that take place while under your care. Other liabilities to take into consideration are things such as if you have any employees working for you, or if you have any assets or machinery that could be at risk of theft or damage.

What Does Mechanic Insurance Cover?

If you are in the market for a Mechanic Insurance policy it could be beneficial for you to research what you need to be covered in your policy and also what policies are available to you. In doing this you are able to pinpoint exactly what you need and then begin to navigate between affordability and protection.

Third Party Only

In the event of an accident that is deemed your fault, with Third Party Only cover, as the name suggests only the third party will be covered by your insurance policy meaning you’ll have to pay for any damages to your own vehicle.

Third Party, Fire & Theft

Third Party, Fire & Theft is essentially the same as Third Party Only, with the added benefit that your own vehicle has protection in the event of fire damage or theft.

Comprehensive Cover

This is the highest level of base cover offered for Motor Traders. This includes everything that is covered under Third Party Fire & Theft but also protects the policy holder against any accidental damages that occur to their own vehicle. While this is the highest amount of cover available it still does not protect an individual or a business from everything. Different areas of the Motor Trade will require additional cover depending on their specific trade and circumstances.

These additional covers could be provided through a combined Motor Trade policy.

Motor Trade Combined

This policy is aimed towards Motor Traders who have specific assets that need to be covered which are not included in a basic Motor Trae Road Risk policy, such as cover for the premises the business operates from, or anybody under their employment. Other additional products that can be offered as part of a Combined Motor Trade policy, include:

  • Public Liability
  • Employers’ Liability
  • Business Interruption
  • Contents cover


If you are a Mechanic in the market for a Motor Trade policy, it is important that the policy you settle on suits all your needs and provides protection for all your necessary assets.

Once you have spent time researching into what exactly you need cover for and which type of policy would suit your business best, you need to decide if you need any additional products to ensure the protection of your business.